World Pneumonia Day 2012 Activities, Events and Campaigns
Community Events and Pneumonia Awareness Campaigns
From events to raise pneumonia awareness to videos and workshops on protecting against, preventing and treating pneumonia, the activities below are just some of the efforts underway to help spread the message in communities and more.
- 2012 Small Grant Recipients for World Pneumonia Day Advocacy: In the program’s 4th year, 12 grants have been awarded to organizations in the following countries: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Haiti, India, Nigeria, Philippines, and Zambia. The program is made possible with support from the International Vaccine Access Center, GAVI Alliance, and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves.
- Argentina: Two non-profit organizations, FIDEC and FUNCEI, will carry out a communication campaign to raise awareness of this infection in the community and among health care professionals, and to promote child and adult vaccination.
- Malaysia: The International Union Against Tuberculosis and the Malaysian Association for the Prevention of Tuberculosis are sponsoring a 1.5km run in Kuala Lumpur on November 17th.
Paint the Town Blue in the United States
The Paint the Town Blue Campaign for World Pneumonia Day calls on buildings and landmarks across the United States to shine blue lights on November 12th. Below are this year’s participating sites:
- Boston, Massachusetts: Capitol Building
- Charlotte, North Carolina: Duke Energy Center
- Chicago, Illinois: 680 North Lake Shore Drive and Wrigley Building
- Cleveland, Ohio: Terminal Tower
- Greenville, South Carolina: NEXT Innovation Center and Riverside Office Building
- Helena, Montana: Montana State Capitol
- Missoula, Montana: Missoula International Airport
- New York, New York: Trump SoHo
- Scottsdale, Arizona: Palm trees at Scottsdale Fashion Square
- Seattle, Washington: Pacific Science Center
- St. Leo, Florida: Saint Leo University (near Tampa)
- Spartanburg, South Carolina: BMW Zentrum
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: The Domes at Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory
- Portland, Oregon: The Morrison Bridge
- Nashville, Tennessee: The Parthenon
Coalition Partner Activities & Resources
- Every Woman Every Child: One World Pneumonia Day, the UN Secretary-General’s global movement to advance the health of women and children, Every Woman Every Child, joined forces with the Global Coalition Against Child Pneumonia and released this statement.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center Awareness Day: On November 10th, a short film and information about pneumonia will be shared at the Visitor Center. Follow @GatesVC to learn more.
- A “Mothers Story” will be showing at the Visitor Center.
- “Pneumonia, World Pneumonia Day, and You” Talk by Orin Levine on November 12th, presented by University of Washington, Global WACh, International Respiratory and Severe Illness Center (INTERSECT), Strategic Analysis Research and Training (START) Program and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- CDC: Homepage feature on World Pneumonia Day.
For more on the Global Coalition Against Child Pneumonia click here.
United States Universities
World Pneumonia Day lectures, social activities and more are planned at the following universities:
- Duke University School of Medicine
- George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services
- The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
- University of Minnesota Medical School
- University of Washington
Child Health Campaigns